Sunday, August 3, 2008

Initial(s) Reaction


Is it narcissistic to say that I have a thing for my own initials? Not to say that I particularly like the alphabet combination (D. [F.] W. ) but it functions well enough for a nickname or, say a blog sign-0ff...but anyway, I like having little items that have letters on them, letters that I identify with myself. I have the bracelets pictured above in the bottom right; and I wear them often, though never together. I've also had my eye on the tote bag from loyalty and blood, for no particular reason other than I like totes, the font is pretty wonderful, and D is me. And now, I have happened upon yet another item that feeds my initial desires (ha!) -- a ring made out of an antique typewriter button (which you custom order your preferred letter). I'm thinking of embracing my middle name and going with the unexpected F...

It seems that some designers are also into labeling as initials/monograms showed up on the runways of Miu Miu, amongst others for fall. I still haven't quite figured out why I like this theme...(motif?) as much as I do. Personally, I think it goes back to 9th grade seeing everyone carrying around those L.L. Bean Monogrammed Backpacks...I never had one (a Jansport girl) but I was faced with them day in and day out for four years of high school... (anyone know what I'm talking about?) Maybe, the idea of labeling one's stuff after oneself was cemented then. Or I could go Freudian and go further back into my childhood when my mother used to write my initials into the tags of all my clothing....

Pop-psychologizing aside, whatever the reason, I'm all for letting the world know, if I am anything, at the very least I am "DFW." So say my accessories.

No comments: