Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Stick Boy + Match Girl

Today, I thought I would share a snippet of one of my favorite books to glance at. I picked up The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy last year mostly because it is by Tim Burton, one of my favorite directors from childhood (Batman, Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands were on constant rotation in our VCR). He started out his career as an animator for Disney but apparently his vision proved to be a bit too macabre for the Disney crew...anyway, then he started making movies, became known for his twisted dark style and came out with this little tome in 1997. It is filled with the poems and illustrations about misunderstood outcast children accompanied with that perfect Burton mix of dark humor and sweetness. Here's one of my favorites, the very short love story about Stick Boy and Match Girl:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooh i looked at these in my english lit class, they're brilliant. tim burton is simply a genius!

loving the blog xx
http://thislifeshopgirl.blogspot.com/