Thursday, April 29, 2010

Haphazard Interiors

While I constantly claim that my student lifestyle relegates my interior design aesthetic to nil, I recently realized that it is more laziness than lifestyle. I don't have a design-point-of-view, rather my apartment is made up of furniture that was already there and Ikea necessities. I didn't think I was much of a nester, but when looking around my flat the other day, I realized I do have an aesthetic: haphazard. Books piled every which way on the bookshelf, a mantle overflowing with candles, pictures, and more books, a desk overrun with jewelry boxes that are over run with jewelry. Haphazard...or maybe just messy, but I kind of like it, which is why I was drawn to the various interiors in these editorials shot by Hugh Stewart . They are all a little scruffy round the edges, the eye darts around at all the visual stimuli, a bit like a Victorian haberdashery, disorganized but lovely just the same.







Photographs by Hugh Stewart found at kris atomic

3 comments:

Ringo, have a banana! said...

These are all so perfect! Trying to decorate our new place has a) made me miss Domino Magazine more than ever and b) made me realize how terrible I am when it comes to actually putting it all together. I know what I like when I see it, but I have no idea how to translate that to my life. Of course, it might have something to do with the fact that I have zero dollars to spend at the moment... Siiigh.

lauren said...

the black wall, fireplace and flowers? i am undone...

♡ lauren
http:///www.deargolden.com

CHRISTI JAY said...

oh my god i want to live in all of these!! ive got the same sense of home decor style too, but i dont have school to blame the mess on... but if there was no mess, it wouldnt be the same. and something about sheets over a sofa thats just perfect (as long as the sheets arent white. then it looks like you didnt finish cleaning after painting.)

sleepydarlings.blogspot.com

check out my upcycled vintage on etsy! christijay.etsy.com